Thursday, November 1, 2012

the schools


The two schools that were depicted in the movies are about as similar as a fortune 500 company and a mom and pop shop.  In fact that analogy is quite apt, seeing as the main difference that I see between the schools is their economic status.  Every other difference that I can think of has its roots in the economic disparity.  The first of which is the type of students.  In stand and deliver the students live in a neighborhood that is full of poverty, gangs and  a  lack of community, this environment produces students that simply do not care about the future because society expects them to stay in their places and not excel.  Dead poet’s society on the other hand evinces a part of society that is expected to excel.  These students come from families that are well off and must exude control and excellence.  Accordingly the school they go to is private and has a much higher level curriculum.  The students are pushed to excel and they are raised with the mindset that failure is not an option.  All the differences that I have given you share the same roots; the economic level of the students and their family/community.

1 comment:

  1. So true. I'm glad that you noticed how the economic status of the students is a huge factor in their differences. However I'm glad that all the students end up succeeding in their own ways guided by excellent teachers.

    ReplyDelete